.

Monday 20 December 2010

Best Of 2010 - #6

Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns



I've always enjoyed Linkin Park albums, and despite all the complaints surrounding Minutes To Midnight and the direction taken on this new album, I think they just get better every album. That's right, I think Hybrid Theory is their worst album (but is still good) - shock horror, I know.

The band have changed direction so far that they're not really noticeable as the same band anymore, but the new direction is far more what I like to listen to. Epic songs such as The Catalyst and Waiting For The End were stuck in my head for several days after my first listen, and it wasn't too long before the other standouts made their way in - Blackout and When They Come For Me are my other favourites.

One thing that annoys me about this album, however, is that despite showing 15 tracks, a grand total of 9 are actually proper songs. Of the remaing 6, 4 are interludes designed to make the album flow as a whole, but end up being slightly irritating (for example, 18 seconds of crickets and booms makes up the fourth track Empty Spaces) and 2 take lyrics from other songs and use them in different ways. However, those aren't as irritating and work far better in making the album more coherent and tied together.

But let me take nothing away from the album; it is definitely my favourite Linkin Park album no matter how little it sounds like Hybrid Theory-era Linkin Park.

SCORE


Previous albums: Hybrid Theory (6/10), Meteora (7/10), Minutes To Midnight (7/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment