.

Saturday 11 December 2010

Best Of 2010 - #15

The Hoosiers - The Illusion Of Safety



Original full review here.


I never particularly liked The Hoosiers' first album; it had a few good tracks here and there, but mostly I found it annoying. But when I heard they were coming back with a new electropop sound, I was intrigued, and when I heard the first single Choices, I thought they'd taken a massive step in the right direction. Upon hearing the album, however, I felt they'd taken a step in the right direction, but not quite as massive as I'd hoped for. Don't get me wrong, this is far better and a much more accomplished effort than their debut, but still, it's far from perfect.

Overall, this is an interesting album. The band has found a sound that works a lot better for them than the rather uninteresting debut, and there are some very catchy pop songs on offer (Bumpy Ride, Unlikely Hero), but sometimes when the album tries to be a bit more diverse, it stumbles. It starts off strong, goes off a bit in the middle, then comes back for some more great tracks such as Glorious and Giddy Up, but the closing track Little Brutes is slightly off as well.

SCORE


Previous albums: The Trick To Life (5/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment