.

Wednesday 24 December 2008

Best Of 2008 (#20-#16)

Christmas tomorrow. Can you wait???


20. The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing


The raw indie sound of the Ting Tings sounds good when you listen to their singles, and the album certainly didn't disappoint in that aspect. But once again, it's an album that just didn't work, in my opinion. However, Great DJ, That's Not My Name and Shut Up And Let Me Go are all brilliant.
SCORE: 6/10


19. Simple Plan - Simple Plan


Despite the uncreativity of naming their third album, this seems like quite a good album. It's one of the less common genres that I listen to, but nevertheless, it seems to catch on. When I'm Gone storms in to start off, followed up by the fantastic Take My Hand. A bit of dawdling, and then the occasional good track; Generation, Holding On and finally What If.
SCORE: 6/10


18. Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul


I have to admit, I have not really listened to Oasis aside from their Stop The Clocks greatest hits album, and I feel a little guilty in doing so, as this album probably deserves a lot more than what I'm using to base my review on. But I have heard the brilliant Shock Of The Lightning and I'm Outta Time, and that, coupled with the fact that Oasis are one of the best bands around according to most, made me buy the album. But as I can't really review it, I think we should ignore scoring for this one.


17. Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads


Oh dear. Is what I first thought on hearing this album. But it has grown on me a little bit. Good bits are Never Miss A Beat, Good Days Bad Days, Always Happens Like That and Addicted To Drugs, but there are also songs such as the downright odd opener Spanish Metal, and the distinctly dodgy Half The Truth. I'm sure Sway, who raps on the latter, is a good rapper, just not on a Kaiser Chiefs song. At least not that one. Nevertheless, the album generally doesn't disappoint, it just doesn't live up to the previous two albums.
SCORE: 6/10


16. Glasvegas - Glasvegas


This album, like the previously reviewed ones, has its ups and downs. But the ups are beyond brilliant in my opinion. Geraldine was on repeat on my iPod for God knows how long and I didn't get bored. Daddy's Gone is also a fantastic song. The album, however, hasn't really hit me that much. I can't understand the eighth track, Stabbed, at least why the band chose to put it on there. However, the two previously mentioned tracks are enough to get this band to the 6/10 score.
SCORE: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment